Ineffectual Mutiny!



Ah! Heart wrenching it is
See these faces!
But helpless am I
It pains me that I cannot relieve their pain

Their faces! So many!
Some with tears rolling down their cheeks
Non-stop...
Some others look forlornly
An escape to materialize
Some lost in this unknown
tears dried
like silver streaks of lightning
pasted on cheeks

Still, there are some
the bold, the brave
They fought valiantly
unloading all their might
Their voices, a battle cry
Fierce and full of demand
They WILL fight till they fall

"Why?" Their faces questioned
"Why subject us to this cruelty?
What is our crime?
Why are we punished like this?"

Little do they know
this is everyone's fate.
Endure this they must
Part of life, a phase

And so starts the first day of school for these Tiny Tots
Nursery, a circus
of life, of tomorrow's blossoming buds
Lament clogged classes
With them, the tots
Torn from their spaces
Thrust into the unknown

A prerogative thrust upon them
New paths of unsure knowledge
Theirs to conquer!!!

Not the best. Wrote this one quickly & that too at the request of my sister. This actually happened. This was what she saw when she accompanied her son for his first day of school. She looked around and saw children at various stages of crying, wailing, thrashing on the ground, and so it goes on. My nephew was not one to hold back. He was one of the valiant ones who 'fought boldly" till the last moment. We send them to school for their own good, I know. This poem is dedicated to him, my adorable 'kuttappi', as I call him.

3 comments:

Lovely! Feels so good to follow a poem so easily. I wish everyone wrote poems like that. You are good M.Rose! I remember my first day. I remained bold and valiant till I saw every other kid cry, thought it a ritual to be done together and joined the wail-gang :-D

August 27, 2008 at 12:03 AM  

Hi Rose,came here thru Cris's blog..I guess I know you as an integral part of Cris's life:)

Your poem reminded me of good old days..Keep writing..Will visit again..Good day

August 27, 2008 at 10:13 PM  

@ chris: Guess everyone remembers their first day of school, except me. But I do remember that i didn't cry. There was the added advantage of me knowing the sisters beforehand. Thank you ever so much for your compliment!!

@ nimis: Thank you. Nice to know people actually read the stuff I post!

September 3, 2008 at 8:49 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home