Evening quietude


Reclining on the cane chair
in the veranda,
The feeble canes collectively hold me in their comforting grasp
Legs propped on the cool black granite pillar

Evening slowly creeps in
An insignificant drizzle working anxiously
to pour into a full blown torrent
Lying on my legs is my little munchkin,
my adorable nephew
murmuring incoherent nothings
singing songs of his making
He in his world,
I in mine.

Three,no-four mosquitoes buzz around us
with their evening performances.
I don't hear my munchkin's prattle anymore
I see him looking at the blue-gray sky.
I too see the same.

Vista so serene
beheld by two gazes.
But perspectives differ
One of childish wonder
Other of calm appreciation
But one thing's for sure
Both drank the beauty
of the twilight sky
together, with no pestering thoughts to disturb us.

A few seconds more...
My munchkin went back to his little games on my lap
Oblivious of his surroundings
Those shared moments forgotten
Though these moments
I have marked in my mind
To reminisce and smile about for later
On days yet to come

4 comments:

Lovely dear!
Really loved it.
Especially those last lines.
And I, after a long while tried my hands at poetry, that too at childhood! Ahem, like I say its about childhood, so it would certainly look like a child wrote it. Your nephew and me, we belong to the same school of thought! :-D

September 1, 2008 at 3:42 PM  

@ chris: thank u chrissy!! This just came to me when i was sitting on the veranda with my nephew. Its memories like these that i like to cherish and treasure forever!!

September 3, 2008 at 8:41 AM  

Hullo dear time for an update!

October 14, 2008 at 4:21 PM  

Hey I have tagged you! Come back!

October 24, 2008 at 10:48 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home